Consumer Report: Kia Sedona Mini Van Rust, Engine, or Transmission Problems.
The Kia Sedona Mini Van has been known to be a great mini-van – but has also been known to have Rust, Engine, and Transmission problems. Making them among one of the most commonly sold mini vans in Toronto and the GTA.
When needing more than minor repair, the Kia Sedona is a car that we commonly purchase for parts as junk/scrap (offering free towing and removal, of course!)
The Kia Sedona has been one of the few remaining mini-van’s available to those in North America. Made by Kia Motors, starting in about 1998. The first Generation Kia Sedona came with a 3.5L V6 Engine and automatic transmission.
The Second Generation Kia Sedona started in 2006 and came with an improved 240 hp 3.8-liter V6 and five speed automatic transmission. In 2007, Kia realeased the Entourage for Kia’s sister company; Hyindai.
To many awards, came the 2015 (to present) Kia Sedona, with a 3.3-liter V6 GDI engine and six-speed automatic transmission.
- In the 2007 reliability report published by TÜV, 1st generation (1999–2005) of Kia Carnival placed 113th out of 113 in the 2- to 3-year-old cars category, with a defect rate of 25.1%. In the 2008 TÜV report, 1st generation (1999–2005) of Kia Carnival placed 116th out of 116 in the same category, with a defect rate of 19.70%, and also placed 111th out of 111 in the 4- to 5-year-old cars category, with a defect rate of 27.60%.
- According to MSN autos reliability survey, 2006 Kia Sedona reliability rated as good, overall 5/5. It rated as “Minimal Problems”, and comment as “Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs. MSN Autos use Identifix for data on all automobiles.
- According to MyRide.com reliability survey,The MyRide Reliability Ratings are collected from visitors and past customers of Autobytel Inc.’s websites (Autobytel.com, Autoweb.com and CarSmart.com) who own vehicles from model year 2001 and newer via an online survey conducted by an independent third party.
- Durability scored 86 (Industrial average 80)
- Mechanical Quality scored 89 (Industrial average 80)
- The 2009 Kia Sedona’s JD Power reliability score is same as the 2009 Honda Odysseyand 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan.
If not protected against rust, the Kia Sedona are known to have serious rust issues along the rust-belt.
Specifically, the first generation had rear-suspension related rust issues.
As well, there have been reports of transmission failure in first and second genration Kia Sedona’s. Transmission rebuild / service cost between $1,500 to $2,500.
Engine failure rates were reported, in some years, up to 10%, reporting costs of up to $10,000.
How do I know when my car is at the end of its useful life?
If you answer YES to any one of these below questions, it may just your best bet to call us. Let us handle everything for you.
- Is your car more than eight years old?
- Does your car need more than a few minor repairs
- Will it cost more to fix than what you can sell it for?
- Will it cost more to maintain than payments on a new comparable car?
If you answer yes – it may be time to consider your job and family, keep a reliable car and sell us your old one! Its time to get cash for your old, junk, scarp, unwanted car. We proudly service the Toronto, Pickering, Ajax, Oshawa, Markham, Scarborough, North York, Etobicoke, Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan, Woodbridge, Newmarket, Bradford, Keswick, Newmarket, Aurora, Richmond Hill, Thornhill and more! We pay up to $15,000 for cars and you don’t need to lift a finger!
If your car is costing more than its worth! Call us today at 1 877 647 5865 (Toronto: 416 285 8869) or complete our form (we’ll call you!)